- Download and Installation
- PWA Omnibox Install
- Helpful Hints and Troubleshooting
- Release Notes
zCentral is now your one location to launch, browse, and discover activities and experiences. zCentral consists of two parts. The first part, zCentral, is web-based that any browser can view. The second part, zCentral Web Service, runs on your computer.
With the launch of zCentral, many applications will begin to have their desktop and Windows Start Menu shortcuts removed. Using zCentral will be the favored way of launching applications.
- Only supported using Chrome web browser
- Any popup blockers must be disabled
- Windows .NET Framework 4.7.1 is required.
Download and Installation
zCentral Web Service can be installed via zSpace App Manager and can be found in the Windows Start Menu under the zSpace folder.
After installing zCentral Web Service, reboot your computer to complete the installation process.
If you are using a proxy server, check the option to "Don't use the proxy server for local (intranet) addresses". If that is not an option, adding the address that the local server runs on will also work.
zCentral is a web-based application. To run zCentral, double-click the desktop shortcut or open your preferred web browser and go to https://go.zspace.com.
Note: Any type of pop-up blocks will need to be disabled in your web browser. Pop up blockers will not allow zCentral to function correctly.
Note: If you see the following error message "This application requires one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: .NETFramework, Version=v.4.7.1", please follow the instructions provided by Microsoft to install the .NET Framework 4.7.1. Windows .NET Framework is required for zCentral.
Note: zCentral can be viewed using any browser and without the zCentral App installed, but some features will not be available such as being able to launch the applications.
After you launch zCentral, you will see the following screen.
If you know the activity you want to launch, you can simply just enter the activity code or name in the search bar.
To browse content or search with additional filters, select the 3 dots with the "more" text to the right of the search bar.
At this point, you can now select your options for filtering available lessons. Along the top are 3 sorting options.
Applications. Users can select to filter results based on installation and license status. The default option is to only show lessons for applications which are installed and licensed. You can optionally, toggle the "Installed" switch to the left and show everything.
Content Types. Users can select one of the following content types:
- All Content Types - View all of the below content types
- Activity - View only zSpace activities
- Applications and Tools - View only applications
- Model (zSpace Studio) - View only models which can be viewed in zSpace Studio
- Experience - Show only results which are based on the new zSpace Experiences
Subjects. Users can select different subject matters to filter. Selecting "Geography" will cause only geography themed activities to be displayed.
Once you have found the activity you want to launch, simply click on the activity to open the activity and/or application. You may see a prompt to allow this to happen as shown below. If you check the box Always open these types of links in the associated app you will not see this prompt again.
PWA Omnibox Install Button
Google Chrome version 76 has added support for an install button in the omnibox (web address bar) to allow for the installation of Progressive Web Apps easier. This is displayed as a + symbol. Since zCentral meets the requirements of a Progressive Web App, this option will show and users can install zCentral to the Windows Desktop by clicking on the + icon.
When installing zCentral in this manner, the user will see an additional zCentral shortcut on the Windows Desktop called "Space zCentral". When using this shortcut over the default installed zCentral shortcut, the user will be presented with a console view of zCentral where the other browser elements are removed so the focus is purely on the zCentral app.
More release information on the Chrome 76 release and omnibox PWA can be found here: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2019/07/nic76
Helpful hints and Troubleshooting
zCentral Web Service will automatically run on your computer once it is installed. When running zCentral in your Web Browser and if you see a message stating "To launch this content use your zSpace device", verify you are using the Google Chrome browser and zCentral Web Service is running on your computer.
A redesign of zCentral to better support students to find and launch zSpace content from zSpace. New features include:
- From any page of zCentral, users can use App Launcher to quickly navigate into any application. For the zSpace Learning Apps (Studio, Franklin’s Lab, Newton’s Park, Euclid’s Shapes, and Curie’s Elements), App Launch icons will open the Sandbox of these applications.
- On the Content page, users will see search results with improved filtering, including filtering by Application, Content Type, and Subjects. Users who use zCentral offline, will be able to use these filters as well as Quick Launch Codes and exact content Title to find and launch content when offline. By default, zCentral search results are now limited to apps installed on the zSpace and will no longer take activation/licensing state into consideration.
- Content Tiles is more simply designed with a focus on the App Name, Title, Quick Launch Code, and a Launch button. zCentral will continue to support the following languages: English, Spanish, Chines, Kazak, and Russian. Content tiles will be determined by language selection.
- Resolved issue where searching in Chinese would not give correct search results.
- zCentral now properly displays ECG, Human Anatomy Atlas, GTA Mechanic Premium, Expert, VIVED Chemistry, VIVED Volume, Rainer Chemistry, Rainer Physics, and Rainer Biology.
- Corrected cases where activities without proper localization could be available with improper localization.
- Resolved issues where zCentral could launch to a blank white screen with a large hourglass and hang.
- Implemented a workaround when using Edge or Firefox to handle CSS bugs in each of the respected browsers.
- Several improvements to search and filtering results including when using punctuation or multi-word searches.
- The search results indicator has been redesigned to be easier on the eyes and to resolve cases where clipping can occur.
- zCentral will now rescan content each time the page is loaded and rescans in the background.
- Localization improvements for China.
- User-facing error messages are now more understandable to the average user.