Welcome to the zSpace AIO User's Guide. This zSpace AIO User's Guide describes the features, set up, and use of the zSpace AIO.
Document # 770-00014-01 Rev C
This document is for customers who need to set up and use their new zSpace AIO.
This document describes the zSpace AIO system, how it works, how to set it up, and includes safety instructions. There are also recycling and troubleshooting sections.
This user’s guide is divided into six main sections:
- The zSpace AIO System
- How zSpace Works
- Set Up the zSpace AIO
- zSpace Applications
- Safety Instructions
- Appendix B: Certifications
- Appendix C: Limited Warranty
For more information about developing zSpace applications, refer to the following sources:
- zSpace setup resources at zspace.com/setup
- zSpace AIO Quickstart Guide
- zSpace AIO Windows Configuration Guide
Congratulations on your purchase of the zSpace AIO, which is an all-in-one system including the monitor and computer in a single unit. This guide describes the features, setup process, and basic usage information.
Contents of the zSpace Box
- zSpace AIO
- Mouse and keyboard
- 1 Pair 3D glasses
- 1 Pair 2D glasses (for observers)
- 1 Power supply for zSpace display
- 1 Quickstart guide
Parts of Your zSpace
In order to use your zSpace in stereoscopic mode (3D), you need to wear the 3D eyewear. This eyewear includes small reflectors, which the tracking cameras use to identify your head position.
The zSpace AIO also includes a pair of 2D glasses without the tracking reflectors. Another person can wear these to share your experience in 2D without interfering with the tracking.
You can use the stylus to interact with 3D applications using six degrees of freedom of motion. Six degrees of freedom refers to the stylus’s full range of motion in three-dimensional space. A mouse is limited to two coordinates on a flat plane. You use the stylus buttons to select UI controls and interact with objects in the scene.
The tracking cameras help 3D applications provide a realistic, immersive experience. The application adjusts the viewpoint as you move your head, just as the view changes “in real life.”
These cameras are necessary for the stylus and head tracking to work. When they are active, you can see red lights. Please do not block the cameras.
Mouse and Keyboard
The system includes a wired mouse and keyboard. You can use the mouse and keyboard with both traditional 2D applications and with 3D applications that support mouse and keyboard input.
The webcam is part of the zSpace. You can use this for chatting or video conferencing.
Note: This webcam does not capture images on the display for zView because it is facing you, not the screen.
To adjust the angle, hold the easel leg with one hand and the top handle with the other. Adjust the easel leg carefully to the desired angle. For best results, we suggest an angle between 30 and 65 degrees.
Warning: Be careful to set the angle so the zSpace is stable and does not fall over. This could damage the zSpace or cause injury.
The side of the zSpace has two upper USB 2.0 ports, two lower USB 3.0 ports, and an audio input/output port. We recommend you use the USB 2.0 ports for the mouse and keyboard. You can use the audio port with 3.5 mm input devices for mono headphones, stereo headphones, or mono/stereo headphones with microphone.
The rear panel has a port for the stylus, the power supply, an HDMI port, a USB 2.0 port, and an Ethernet connection.
The power button is on the top of the zSpace.
The zSpace uses Windows Power Management Tools. By default, the display turns off after 15 minutes and the computer enters sleep mode after 30 minutes. To resume from sleep mode, press the Enter key or the power button.
To adjust the power settings, use the Windows Control Panel Power Options menu.
Note: The default power settings have been selected for compliance with ENERGY STAR.
zSpace has many features to enable a compelling user experience.
Head-Tracked Stereoscopic Display
The head-tracked display enables the zSpace to display the left and right images for a stereoscopic display. The images adjust as your eyes move within the tracking zone. This capability ensures a comfortable virtual
The tracking cameras enable the stylus to interact with virtual items anywhere within the tracking zone.
Using 3D in zSpace
To use zSpace in 3D, put on the 3D glasses and pick up the stylus. Use the center button on the stylus to select icons and menu options and interact with objects in the scene.
Tip: Move the stylus over the objects in the application. Depending on the application, some objects may
highlight or the stylus might buzz when the stylus beam touches the object. These are objects you can select and move.
You can adjust the zSpace angle to increase your viewing comfort. By adjusting the stand, you can change the angle. We recommend angles between 30 and 60 degrees.
With the stand closed, the zSpace is 25” (64 cm) wide, 18” (45 cm) tall, and 3” (8 cm) deep, at its widest, tallest, and deepest.
The following table gives the zSpace AIO footprint, for space on the desktop, at 30, 45, and 60 degrees.
|30 degrees||25” (64cm)||17” ( 43 cm)|
|45 degrees||25” (64 cm)||15” (38 cm)|
|60 degrees||25” (64 cm)||12” (31cm)|
- Confirm that you have all the hardware components. For each zSpace, your system includes the following components:
- zSpace AIO
- zSpace 3D eyewear with markers
- zSpace 2D eyewear without markers
- zSpace stylus with cable
- Keyboard and mouse
- Power supply for the zSpace display with corresponding cable
- Plug in all the cables:
- Plug the mouse and keyboard into the USB 2.0 ports on the side panel
- Plug in the power cord and the stylus into the ports on the back panel
- Press the power button on the top of the zSpace
- Refer to the illustrated zSpace AIO Quickstart Guide that comes in the box with your zSpace. You can also download a copy from zspace.com/setup.
- Also follow the zSpace AIO Windows Configuration Guide when first setting up your zSpace AIO.
The zSpace includes the Windows 8.1 or newer operating system, zSpace System Software, and drivers for all the built-in components, stylus, cameras, and graphics card.
Important: Do not download new video drivers except from the zSpace Support site, support.zspace.com/hc/en-us. AMD drivers from Windows updates, the AMD support site, and other third-party sites are not guaranteed to work properly with zSpace.
The zSpace App Manager are available for download from zspace.com/downloads. Use App Manager to download zSpace System Software, zSpace STEM applications, and demo applications.
Note that the zSpace STEM applications require a license purchased from zSpace to activate the applications. Other third-party STEM applications are available for purchase from zSpace.
Installing and Updating Applications
To open the zSpace App Manager, select it from the Windows Start menu. The App Manager displays applications and content available to install. It also shows updates for installed applications, if any are available. You need an Internet connection to check for updates.
For complete guide updating all zSpace applications, please see Updating zSpace Applications.
Customize Your zSpace
The stylus is a key means of interacting with 3D applications. By default, the stylus buttons are set as follows:
- Center button–Selects UI controls and objects in the application.
- Right button–A secondary button that may bring up a pop-up menu.
To change the function of any stylus buttons, open the zSpace Control Panel and select Stylus Configuration. You can also turn off the LED lights and the vibration.
Pre-installed zSpace applications have desktop shortcuts so you can launch them directly from the desktop. Alternatively, all applications icons can be found by browsing to the zSpace folder in the Windows Start Menu.
Using zSpace STEM Applications
The zSpace Education website, edu.zspace.com, provides short videos on using the zSpace STEM applications. To see these videos, select the Resources link. zSpace Studio, Newton’s Park, Franklin’s Lab, CyberScience 3D, and Corinth include curated educational activities and models. To learn about individual activities, select the Activities link on the zSpace Education website. You can read activity plans for instructors and view videos.
Please carefully review the safety instructions described in the following section. This information is provided to help you experience the best features of your zSpace and prevent problems that may decrease performance. Failure to follow the instructions might void the limited warranty agreement, in which case zSpace is not responsible for replacing or repairing the product. Disregarding specific safety instructions may also cause injury and serious damage to health.
- Only use the power adapter provided with the zSpace. Using a different type of power adapter may cause damage with the risk of fire. Be sure to use a grounded power source.
- When moving or adjusting the zSpace, be careful when grasping the upper plastic enclosure. Excessive pressure could misalign or damage the sensors.
- Mishandling or dropping the zSpace may cause alignment problems with the tracking device.
- Do not open or disassemble the zSpace or any hardware components associated with zSpace. In some cases, there is risk of electrical shock. Opening the system or damaging components voids the warranty.
- Avoid placing sharp or heavy objects on the zSpace to prevent scratching the display surface or causing breakage.
- Avoid dropping the stylus or catching the cable on immovable objects.
- When using zSpace eyewear, be careful not to remove or damage the markers, which are critical to head tracking.
- If the zSpace screen is damaged for any reason, do not touch any liquid emanating from the unit. In case of contact with skin, rinse or flush any affected surfaces immediately with running water. Please consult a physician in all cases.
- The zSpace display works best in moderate lighting conditions. Moving lights within the view of the sensors can affect overall performance of the tracking mechanisms. Avoid bright lights for best results.
- Be careful when connecting the cables on the back of the zSpace. Use the ports on the side of the zSpace for the mouse and keyboard to avoid accidentally plugging the USB cable into the stylus’ RJ -11 port, which could cause a short circuit and render the product inoperable.
- The power button is on the top of the zSpace. It controls the power to the system. You cannot turn off the display separately
- Temperature : 10 - 35 degrees C (50 - 95 degrees F)
- Humidity : 10 - 80 %, non-condensing (dry location)
- Do not operate or store zSpace hardware in any location where temperature changes are severe.
- Avoid long hours of prolonged use of 3D applications which may cause eyestrain, mild fatigue, and in extreme cases, illness and seizures. Do not engage in operating vehicles or machinery when feeling any of the described effects as a result of using the system.
- zSpace disclaims any and all liability to users for any dizziness, nausea, headaches and/or other sensations of physical discomfort or illness that a user may experience as a result of use of the zSpace.
- In some cases, viewing objects in 3D stereo may cause disorientation and the objects may appear blurry.
Note: The FirePro graphics card handles the synchronization of left and right frames. You do not need to force synchronization.
Caring for zSpace
- Keep the zSpace display surface and tracking cameras clean and free from scratches or damage. Use an anti-static or slightly damp cloth with light pressure. Regular cleaning helps prolong the life of the screen surface.
- Avoid cleaning products that contain alcohol, as they leave a residue on the screen.
- Use a lint-free cloth to remove any dirt or residue from the zSpace eyewear.
- Keep the zSpace in a clean, dry place, and avoid extremes in temperature.
- Avoid contact with liquids.
- When cleaning, disconnect the zSpace from the power source.
Replacing the Battery
The zSpace includes a 3-volt lithium coin cell battery, which provides power to the real-time clock. When you replace the battery, use an equivalent battery designated for this product.
Warning: There is a risk of fire and burns if the battery is not handled properly. To reduce the risk of injury:
- Do not try to recharge the battery.
- Do not expose the battery to temperatures higher than 60°C (140° F).
- Do not disassemble, crush, puncture, short external contacts, or dispose of the battery in fire or water.
Static electricity can damage the electronic components of the zSpace or optional equipment. Before beginning, ensure that you discharge static electricity by briefly touching a grounded metal object.
Caution: Removing or replacing a battery clears the CMOS settings. Make sure you back up the CMOS settings before you begin.
Problem: The application is not displaying in 3D.
- Make sure you are wearing the zSpace 3D glasses.
- Open the zSpace Control Panel and select Stereo Imaging Test. Select the Question Mark to see zSpace Support articles.
Problem: The application’s view does not change as you move your head.
- Make sure you are wearing the zSpace 3D glasses, which have the tracking markers. Refer to Parts of Your zSpace for an illustration.
- Open the zSpace Control Panel and select Head Tracking Test.
- Put on the glasses and move your head so that the crosshairs intersect each circle on the screen.
- If you cannot see the crosshairs or you cannot move them across the screen, select the back arrow with the mouse.
- Select the Question Mark to see zSpace Support articles.
Problem: The stylus does not seem to work correctly.
- Make sure the stylus is plugged into the correct socket in the back of the zSpace. Be careful not to insert it into the Ethernet port.
- Open the zSpace Control Panel and select the Stylus Configuration Test to make sure the buttons, vibration, and LED lights work correctly.
- From the zSpace Control Panel, select Stylus Tracking Test to make sure the tracking cameras are detecting the stylus.
- Move the stylus so the crosshairs intersect each circle on the screen.
- If you cannot see the crosshairs or you cannot move them across the screen, select the back arrow with the mouse.
- Select the Question Mark to see zSpace Support articles.
Recycling (WEEE) and RoHS
We request you recycle your zSpace when replacing it with a newer product or when any hardware component reaches the end of its useful life. Please bring all materials to appropriate recycle centers in your community or region.
For users in the European Union, zSpace provides a recycling process as part of the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) program. Please contact zSpace for instructions on how to return the unit to an appropriate location. You can refer to the RoHS and WEEE Compliance Statements in the Regulatory Statements section of the zSpace support site.
Appendix B: Certifications
zSpace has the following certifications:
- FCC Class B (Federal Communications Commission) Declaration of Conformity
- USA Energy Star 6.1
- CB (IECEE Certification Bodies’ Scheme)
- CE Marking – Declaration of Conformity
- cULus (Underwriters Laboratories) certification for Canada and US
- CSA-US (Canadian Standards Association) certification for Canada and US
- RCM (Regulatory Compliance Mark), formerly C-Tick
- WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Compliance
- RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) Compliance
- Australia MEPS (Minimum Performance Energy Standards) certification
- ICES (Interference-Causing Equipment Standard) certification
- CCC (China Compulsory Certification)
- CEL(China Energy Label)
- CMIIT (China Ministry of Industry and Information Technology) ID
- BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) certification
WPC (Wireless Planning Coordination) certification
- VCCI (Voluntary Control Council for Interference by Information Technology Equipment) certification
- NOM (Norma Oficial Mexicana) certification
- Energy Consumption Labeling
- PTA (Pakistan Telecommunication Authority) certification
- NTC (National Telecommunications Commission) certification
- CITC (Communications and Information Technology Commission) certification for wireless
- SASO (Saudi Arabian Standard Organization) certification for safety
- IDA (Infocomm Development Authority) compliance
- BSMI (Bureau of Standards, Metrology and Inspection) certification
- NTC (National Telecommunication Commission) Supplier Declaration of Conformity
United Arab Emirates
- TRA (Telecommunications Regulatory Authority)
For the complete compliance statements, refer to the zSpace Regulatory Information.
This warranty applies to customers located in the United States, Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, U.K., and other English language countries, and countries for which a translation into the local language is not provided.
HARDWARE: zSpace, Inc. (“zSpace”), warrants to the end user (“Customer”) that this product will be free from defects in workmanship and materials, under normal use, for one (1) year from the date of purchase from zSpace or its authorized reseller. zSpace’s sole obligation under this express warranty shall be, at zSpace’s option and expense, to repair the product or part, replace the product or part with a comparable product or part, or if neither repair nor replacement is reasonably available, zSpace may, in its sole discretion, refund to Customer the purchase price paid for the product or part. Replacement products or parts may be new or reconditioned. zSpace warrants any replaced or repaired product or part for a period of ninety (90) days from shipment, or through the end of the original warranty, whichever is longer.
SOFTWARE: zSpace warrants to Customer that each software program licensed from it will perform in substantial conformance to its published program specifications, for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of purchase from zSpace or its authorized reseller. zSpace warrants the media containing software against failure during the warranty period. No updates are required to be provided, but zSpace may choose to provide updates in its sole discretion. zSpace's sole obligation under this express warranty shall be, at zSpace's option and expense, to replace any defective media, to modify the software so that it substantially conforms to the applicable zSpace published program specifications. zSpace makes no warranty or representation that its software products will meet Customer’s requirements or work in combination with any hardware or applications software products provided by third parties, that the operation of the software products will be uninterrupted or error-free, or that all defects in the software products will be corrected. Certain software contains certain open source software and is licensed pursuant to the applicable open source licenses specified in the documentation and is provided WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
OBTAINING WARRANTY SERVICE: If the product was purchased through a reseller, Customer should contact the reseller for warranty procedures. If the product was purchased directly from zSpace, or if the reseller is unable to provide warranty service,Customer must contact zSpace’s Technical Service Center within the applicable warranty period to obtain a return materials authorization (RMA) number. Dated proof of original purchase from zSpace or its authorized reseller will be required. Products or parts shipped by Customer to zSpace must be sent prepaid and packaged appropriately for safe shipment, and it is recommended that they be insured or sent by a method that provides for tracking of the package. Responsibility for loss or damage does not transfer to zSpace until the returned item is received by zSpace. If Advance Exchange is not available (see paragraph immediately below), the repaired or replaced item will be shipped to Customer, at zSpace's expense, not later than fifteen (15) days after zSpace receives the defective product, and zSpace will retain risk of loss or damage until the item is delivered to Customer. zSpace shall not be responsible for Customer’s software, firmware, information, or memory data contained in, stored on, or integrated with any products returned to zSpace for repair, whether under warranty or not. All returned products or parts that are replaced become the property of zSpace. If zSpace determines that failure of the product(s) was not a result of a defect in materials or workmanship, zSpace reserves the right to charge Customer for time and materials at zSpace’s then-current labor rate, and return shipping charges. zSpace will advise Customer prior to assessing these charges.
Dead- or Defective-on-Arrival. In the event a product completely fails to function or exhibits a defect in materials or workmanship within the first forty-eight (48) hours of installation but no later than thirty (30) days after the date of purchase, and this is verified by zSpace, it will be considered dead- or defective-on-arrival (DOA) and a replacement shall be provided prior to zSpace receiving the defective product (“Advance Exchange”), but only if Customer provides a purchase order number, credit card number, or other method of payment acceptable to zSpace, to be used if zSpace needs to charge Customer for the replacement, as explained below. The replacement product will normally be shipped the second business day after issuance of an RMA that is issued by 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time, and on the third business day following issuance of an RMA that is issued after 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time, but may be delayed due to availability and export or import procedures. The shipment of Advance Exchange products is subject to local legal requirements and may not be available in all locations. When an Advance Exchange is provided and Customer fails to return the original product to zSpace within fifteen (15) days after shipment of the replacement, zSpace will charge Customer for the replacement product, at list price.
WARRANTIES EXCLUSIVE: IF THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT OPERATE AS WARRANTED ABOVE, CUSTOMER’S SOLE REMEDY FOR BREACH OF THAT WARRANTY SHALL BE REPLACEMENT OR REPAIR OF THE PRODUCT OR PART, OR REFUND OF THE PURCHASE PRICE PAID, AT ZSPACE’S OPTION. TO THE FULL EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, THE FOREGOING WARRANTIES AND REMEDIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND ARE IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, TERMS, OR CONDITIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, EITHER IN FACT OR BY OPERATION OF LAW, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, OR ARISING FROM THE COURSE OF DEALING BETWEEN THE PARTIES OR USAGE OF TRADE, INCLUDING WARRANTIES, TERMS, OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, CORRESPONDENCE WITH DESCRIPTION, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ACCURACY OF INFORMATION GENERATED, ALL OF WHICH ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. ZSPACE DOES NOT AUTHORIZE ANY RESELLER, EMPLOYEE, OR ANY OTHER PERSON TO MODIFY OR EXTEND THIS WARRANTY, OR TO ASSUME FOR IT ANY OTHER OBLIGATION OR LIABILITY IN CONNECTION WITH THE SALE, INSTALLATION, MAINTENANCE OR USE OF ITS PRODUCTS.
zSpace shall not be liable under this warranty if its testing and examination disclose that the alleged defect or malfunction in the product does not exist or was caused by Customer’s or any third person’s misuse, neglect, improper installation or testing, unauthorized attempts to open, repair, or modify the product, or any other cause beyond the range of the intended use, or by accident, fire, lightning, POWER CUTS or outages, other hazards, or acts of God.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:TO THE FULL EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, ZSPACE EXCLUDES FOR ITSELF AND ITS SUPPLIERS ANY LIABILITY, WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, FOR INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, OR FOR LOSS OF REVENUE OR PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF INFORMATION OR DATA, OR OTHER FINANCIAL LOSS ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SALE, INSTALLATION, MAINTENANCE, USE, PERFORMANCE, FAILURE, OR INTERRUPTION OF THIS PRODUCT, EVEN IF ZSPACE OR ITS AUTHORIZED RESELLER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, AND LIMITS ITS LIABILITY TO REPLACEMENT, REPAIR, OR REFUND OF THE PURCHASE PRICE PAID, AT ZSPACE’S OPTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES WILL NOT BE AFFECTED IF ANY REMEDY PROVIDED HEREIN SHALL FAIL OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
DISCLAIMER: Some countries, states, or provinces do not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties or the limitation of incidental or consequential damages for certain products supplied to certain purchasers, or the limitation of liability for personal injury, so the above limitations and exclusions may be limited in their application to you. When the implied warranties are not allowed to be excluded in their entirety, they will be limited to the duration of the applicable written warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights which may vary depending on local law.
GOVERNING LAW AND VENUE:This LIMITED WARRANTY IS governed by the laws of the State of California as such laws are applied to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within California between California residents, and by the laws of the United States. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (1980) is hereby excluded in its entirety from application to this Limited Warranty. The Superior Court of Santa Clara County and/or the United States District Court for the Northern District of California shall have exclusive jurisdiction and venue over all controversies in connection herewith.