When trying to install the zSpace System Software after removing a previous installation, you may see the error message "The existing zSpace System Software needs to be uninstalled before continuing with this installation". You may also try to manually stop the zSpace Tracking Service and it will not stop.
To remove the zSpace System Software, follow the steps outlined in the Installing zSpace System Software article. If you are still receiving this error message and you have performed the uninstallation already, it is possible an error occurred that caused the zSpace Tracking Service to remain running on the system. Follow the below steps to remove the zSpace Tracking Service:
- Verify there are no applications running using zSpace tracking. The zSpace tracking LEDs will be off.
- Right click on the Windows Task Bar and select Task Manager.
- Select the Services tab.
- Scroll down and find the zSpaceTrackingService service.
- Look at the status of the service. If the status of service is running, right click on the zSpaceTrackingService service and select "Stop service". If you receive an "Unable to stop service" message, reboot the zSpace and continue to step 6.
- Click the windows start button and type cmd without the quotes. You will see cmd.exe as one of the search options. Right click on cmd.exe and select Run as administrator.
- You will see a command line window appear. Type "sc delete zSpaceTrackingService" without the quote marks and press enter.
- You will see a confirmation message stating the service has been deleted. It is possible if you rebooted your PC as part of step 6 the zSpaceTrackingService service is already removed.
- Open the task manager again and verify the zSpaceTrackingService service does not exist.
At this point you should be able to install the new version of zSpace Tracking Software.